Heylo is a community management platform for in-person groups. On Heylo, a group is a dedicated space for only people in the group. It contains tools for organization, communication, and payments that help people in the group meet, get together, and ultimately belong.
To build a meaningful community, authenticity is mandatory. On Heylo, everyone is encouraged to use their real name and photo and show up the way they want to be seen, in real life.
Heylo is available everywhere your members are - in an app or on a browser, from the phone, tablet, or computer. It’s also integrated with email, so even if your members don’t sign up, they can still get the most important info from your group, right to their inbox.
Curious about what Heylo looks like? Experience the sample group on Heylo.
Successful groups on Heylo
Heylo is proud to support thousands of groups around the world, from Hong Kong to Hawaii, ranging from run crews to reading clubs. Here’s a quick sample:
- The Brooklyn Track Club. An 800+ paid membership club with a monthly and annual membership option.
- LA Skate Hunnies. A female-led community of 500+ in the Los Angeles community. All wheels welcome.
- Midnight Runners Toronto. A 2,000-member chapter of a global running group that hosts free weekly runs and special paid events.
- Electric Athletic Club. A monthly membership club with 8 chapters across the US.
- Parents of Littles. A 50-member paid parents group in Minnesota with monthly and annual options.
- San Francisco Beach Volleyball. A 1,000-member volleyball group hosting paid tournaments and clinics.
Onboarding your members is seamless with Heylo. Whether you have a group chat, email list, or another platform, onboarding your members to Heylo is as easy as copying and pasting. Members do not need to download a new app and can sign up with one tap.
Migrating from a group chat with a link
If your members use a group chat like Whatsapp, text, or GroupMe, simply use your link! You can copy your link and paste it into your existing group chat. Members who click the link will be directed to join your group upon signing up.
Migrating from a website or other membership platform with personalized onboarding
If you have your member roster or directory with member emails from another platform, Heylo has personalized onboarding for your members! Share your member roster with the Heylo team via support chat or email@example.com, and Heylo onboards each member individually with the information from the roster.
Specifically, Heylo sends a personalized email to each member. The email contains a custom link unique to that member with all their information from the member roster. It can include everything from their email, name, and emergency contact to their membership tier, renewal date, and payment info. When members accept the invitation and click the link, the information is automatically added to their account. They can confirm their information is correct when they join.
Personalized onboarding invite links are one-time use to maintain security. If a member skips the email and signs up directly in Heylo, no problem! Heylo matches their email with the corresponding email in the member roster and automatically adds their info.
When members join Heylo, not only do they confirm their info, but they also see all the group's events, communications, and members too!
As a leader recently with personalized onboarding recently said, "You guys are great. My members are loving Heylo. I have not gotten one single complaint, ZERO!"
Migrating from Meetup
The easiest way to migrate from Meetup is to export member emails. Member exports are free on Heylo, but Meetup requires a Meetup Pro account to export. To get a Meetup Pro subscription, sign up for a free trial, export your member info, and then cancel the free trial.
Alternatively, an organizer can supplement their Meetup group with Heylo communications. Copy the group link and paste it in multiple places throughout your Meetup group - comments, announcements, event descriptions, and event chat.
In all cases, a Heylo team member is available to assist with migration, and there is no cost to onboard your members to Heylo.
Heylo makes it seamless to join a group. When joining a group on Heylo, members are set up for success in seconds. Here is the onboarding experience for new members:
- [Optional] Sign group waiver
- Receive a welcome message from the group leader
- Complete brief profile
- Join topics
- Join events
- [Optional] If the group collects mandatory membership dues, complete payment
To join a group on Heylo, search by the name of the group. Search is limited to just the group name. Groups can also be listed as private on Heylo. Private groups require a specific invite link to join and cannot be searched.
Members who join a group can see groups that other members belong to. Groups that are not private are also listed on members' profiles. Groups that a member is connected to are listed in “Discover groups” in the top left of Heylo.
Groups on Heylo are private by default, or “closed.” When getting started, admins can select from a range of privacy controls for their group, including:
- Public. The group is visible on Heylo and search engines, and anyone can join the group without admin approval.
- Closed. The group is visible on Heylo and search engines, and new members can request to join. However, admins must approve all new members.
- Invite-only. The group is not visible to others on Heylo, and only existing admins and members can invite new members to the group.
Learn more about all the variations of visibility and control in Permissions.
There are no fees to create a group on Heylo. Heylo is free to use! We make money by helping groups collect payments. If you are a free group, you can use Heylo for free.
To create a group on Heylo:
- Navigate to create a group
- Select your group’s name and privacy setting. Don’t worry, you can change either at any time
- Add a photo. It helps convey what the group is all about
- Invite a few others to join and help get set up
- Add your first event
That’s it! In less than a minute, you can have a group up and running on Heylo, for free.
Groups mean many people! Invite others to the group, even when getting started. They can see how communications, events, chats, profiles, and waivers work, in real time.
To invite someone to join the group, navigate to the members tab and select the invite action button on the top right. Invites are personalized by group and by the sender. The recipient will see the profile photo of the inviter when joining. Personalization improves onboarding conversion.
There are several ways to invite someone to join a group:
Note, admins of a group can restrict invitations to admin-only in the permissions.
- Link. Copy the link and paste it into any other messaging tool or social media platform.
- Email. Recipients receive a personalized email invitation. See a sample in the email invite dialogue box. Also, invite all members by email.
- Contact book [Mobile only]. Grant access to contacts and select contacts to invite.
- QR code [Mobile only]. Scan the QR code to join your group
- Share Sheet [Mobile only]. Invite via another app on your phone
- Last, just tell them to get Heylo and search for your group (note, your group must be discoverable in permissions.)
Admins can also invite other admins. As an admin, you can toggle the invite to be “member” or “admin” once you select the invite button from the members tab.
If an admin has access to all member emails, use bulk email invites to onboard all members seamlessly. Members invited by email can receive all of the group announcements and upcoming event communications with Heylo’s email integration, even before they sign up for Heylo.
Furthermore, members invited by email will automatically receive a follow-up invitation after 3 days if they do not join from the first invitation.
To invite members by email, navigate to the members tab, select invite, and then select email. Copy all members’ email addresses, and then paste them into Heylo separated by a comma, semicolon, or new line. Heylo will automatically organize them and send each a personalized email invitation from the inviter via the group invite email account.
To preview the email invitation, select the “sample” button from the email invite menu.
Once everyone is invited, admins still have control over who receives email communications from the group. At the bottom of the members tab, admins can see a list of members invited by email under Pending. Admins can select a member and resend an invite, or remove the member from the group. In addition, anyone invited can always opt-out by unsubscribing.
For groups coming from another membership platform, the group’s data can be transferred to Heylo seamlessly. Member info like payment timelines, check-in counts, or names can be uploaded with customized invites for each member. Existing payment dates and frequencies can be respected in Heylo.
There is no cost associated with a transition. The Heylo team will assist with customized member uploads. Get in touch with the Heylo team - we’re happy to help!
Heylo can help people who know each other find their respective groups. By opting in to sharing contacts, members, and admins can invite contacts in one tap, and contacts can see connected groups.
Heylo will never message or spam contacts.
Every group on Heylo has a unique link. The group link contains the group page - everything someone new needs to join the group, such as:
Admins have full control over group links including their content, URL, and visibility. To edit a group link, navigate to the group tab, and then select “group appearance.”
Groups may only have one link. If a link is edited, the previous link is available for another group to use. If someone clicks on a past link, they land on Heylo group discovery.
Groups pages contain everything new members need to join a group. It houses all the group’s key information, including the group name, photo, logo, group reps members, AND all your upcoming events. Here's an example:
Unlike static web pages, upcoming events on your Heylo group page are automatically refreshed as the group changes. Group pages remove the need to constantly update a bio or website with every new event or change to the group.
Specifically, group pages contain:
- Member count
- Member requirements
- Group reps
- Upcoming events
Any admin of the group can edit the group page at any time by heading to the group tab, and then “Group Appearance.”
Group reps are responsible for showcasing the group and welcoming new members. They are listed on the group page, and prospective members can communicate with them before joining the group.
Group reps are the only people in a group who non-members can interact with. For security, they must “accept” their group rep status.
To add a group rep:
- Head to the profile of the person
- Tap the three dots, then “manage member”
- Toggle “group rep” to nominate the person
- The person will receive a push notification and banner on the members screen; they must accept the request to be designated a group rep
- Once accepted, group reps appear on the group page with a heart icon next to their name and profile
Either members or admins can be nominated group reps. Group reps empower people to help promote the group, onboard new members, and keep the community vibrant.
Heylo sign-ups are flexible and easy for anyone to join. Sign-ups are as quick as one click. They are available from either the mobile app or the web, so no one has to download a new app.
There are three ways to sign up for Heylo.
- Email. Only a name, email, and password are required to sign up. Passwords must be 7 characters long. If you log in again, use the same sign-up email and password.
- Google. If you have a Google account, you can sign in with Google by selecting the Google button. Your name will be passed to Heylo and shared with your group.
- Apple. If you have an Apple account, you can sign in with Apple by selecting the Apple button. Your name will be passed to Heylo and shared with your group.
Everyone only needs to sign-up once to join a group on Heylo. Emails and phone numbers are not visible to other members, which keeps the group secure. Heylo will never spam anyone or sell their data.
To switch a sign-up method, get in touch with the Heylo team.
Heylo is available on all devices - iOS app, Android app, mobile web, iPad browser, and desktop browser. All browser types are supported as well, such as Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Firefox, etc.
All interactions are automatically synced across all platforms. For example, an event created on a computer is immediately editable from the phone app.
There is no limit to the number of groups on Heylo. Anyone can belong to multiple groups, and anyone can create multiple groups.
If there are multiple groups within the same organization, like chapters, get in touch with the Heylo team about our organizational tools. We can help you set up organization-level features such as wwaivers, memberships, and pages to streamline the organization across multiple chapters.
Heylo is available on the web in all compliant geographies. The Android and Apple mobile app is available in over 50 major countries.
Languages supported on Heylo include English (US) and Japanese. The language for Heylo will be selected in accordance with the local device language.
There are several ways to grow a group on Heylo. Before prioritizing discovery, group leaders are encouraged to deliver great experiences to their members, first and foremost.
Here are a few ways Heylo helps groups grow:
- Existing member invites. Heylo provides contact book integration and a myriad of ways for existing members to invite their friends and connections to your group. Most groups grow by members having a great experience and inviting others.
- Member profiles. If your group is discoverable, your group is listed in your member’s profiles. When they join other groups on Heylo, all the other groups can see your group.
- Heylo Discover. Groups get listed in a Heylo Discover experience for prospective members to explore. They are sorted by quality and connections.
- Search engines. With admin approval, Heylo group pages and group events are published on the internet and findable by search engines including Google and Bing.
Connecting with groups is our joy. You can reach us anytime in Heylo Support Chat in your Heylo private chats. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also active on Instagram as @heylo_co and you can reach us through direct messages there too. Hit us up anytime with your feedback and ideas - we’d love to connect with you!